Start, then Throw

28 Sep

Good Morning Colleagues…

What’s your favorite time of day.. Morning, Night, Afternoon? And for you writers, when do most like to scribble?
English 1A students, feel free to respond to English 5-ers, and vice versa. Tell us precisely what about your time of day suites YOUR collective character..

Cheers from the vineyard,
Mike

20130927-103949.jpg

14 Responses to “Start, then Throw”

1. Rebecca Ashlock September 28, 2013 at 3:43 am #

There’s something enticing about waking up when with the blazing moon in view and the streets clear of commute time clutter. In an environment that’s constantly on the move it’s refreshing to open my eyes to silence. I’m passionate about my coffee and biscotti that I bake fresh for myself for such moments. Mornings are a time for me to enjoy that while sitting in thought with a clearness that’s unobtainable throughout the proceeding periods of the day.
    To no surprise, dawn gives me the clarity necessary to write. After sleep, all is new with endless prospects. I fling myself forward, pushing for my passions. Aspirations that may have deemed impossible as I was shutting my eyes suddenly come alive again with the opening of my lids. So there I sit. Sip sip. Spark of caffeine and ceaselessly dreaming from the dreams of the night before. I write.

• mikemadigan September 28, 2013 at 5:25 am #

Lovely expression, Ms. Ashlock! Continue in your Literary linearity. Let it bring you vision, veritable vexation, positive. Keep writing, my most passionate colleague.. sipNscribble…

-Mike

2. Mercedes DeMartini September 28, 2013 at 5:55 pm #

I adore being up early enough to watch the sunrise, not always just idly sitting and watching the sunrise. But being up early, completing tasks – like morning runs, brewing delicious Blue Bottle coffee, or reading a book – and smelling the crisp morning air, and watching the fresh sun hit the pavement outside is so gorgeous. For me, rising early from sleep and watching the world slowly awaken first by the sun, then by early morning runners, and then people heading to work or school is just so beautiful and fulfilling. Watching the world revive itself is so fascinating and breathtaking because every day something’s different – whether in a major way or in a small way. Morning is perfect because before the world totally begins, you first are allowed to watch the slow perfection of the morning, where everything is still, quiet, and sublime.

3. Stephany Valencia September 28, 2013 at 8:04 pm #

I’m a night writer, it seems to give me a moment to myself. The daylight is so crazy I’m always counting time and making schedule changes that writing is the last thing on my mind. The night is a sort of pause and quiet environment (because my daughter is asleep:) ) so it gives my mind a chance to wander and express my thoughts. There’s something about the light making a spotlight against the dark surrounding it that focuses whatever subject is on my mind. Letting the mind think about the day and notice all the little things it missed. I get a snack something sweet like Mexican bread and milk or coffee with a warm sweater, soft couch, and quiet night and take on reading or writing tasks with ease. That personally is my favorite part of my day.

4. amanda mcleod September 30, 2013 at 4:33 am #

my favorite time of day is the early morning. Waking up before the sun and the kids. grabbing a warm cup of coffee, sitting out on the porch with a blanket, breathing in the cool crisp air and enjoying the 40-45 min of calm, quiet, and enlightening bliss before my day slams into overdrive and jumps full throttle through the rest of the day and in to the late evening.

• amanda mcleod September 30, 2013 at 4:40 am #

I also enjoy watching the sun rise up over the hill side and during certain seasons watching it slowly break through the fog or peak through the clouds.

5. Katherine Krive September 30, 2013 at 7:38 am #

Night owl. That’s me. But there are those rare occasions I find myself out of bed in the early morning, before the sun has peeped up over the horizon. All is quiet in the house. I feel compelled to move quietly myself for fear of disturbing the perfect peace which encompasses the moment. Those mornings are good for writing too.
    Realistically speaking, I write best in the evening, sometime before one or two AM. There’s a certain point where I feel too exhausted, writing myself in circles, or just staring at the screen numbly, not completely conscious, after that happens once or twice the effort is just not worth the reward, or lack thereof.
    Evenings are when I feel the most freedom to sit down at the computer with a pad of paper out and different pens, pencils, and highlighters at the ready to jot down notes, brainstorm, eventually outline, and then transfer the outline to my laptop. Time seems much freer at night, without any appointments or classes looming in the coming hours to interrupt the flow of thought that is such a part of writing. Night. Dark. Just me, my thoughts, and the words. The stars are out to watch me at work. It’s an inspiring thought.

• Will Hearrell September 30, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

I’m too busy during the day, so a majority of my creativity releases itself in the middle of the night. It’s common for me to head to bed at 2am and rise at 7 to get ready for a long day of work and school. I don’t really write when I get home though. I talk to or hang out with friends, playing video games, drinking, board games, whatever. My creativity is in my terrible jokes and my strategy in gaming. Occasionally I’ll write, but usually only as an attempt to ally words with a melody and rhythm of my guitar. If school and life wasn’t so damned expensive, I’d have a lot more time to myself, and maybe then I’d write. But that’s not an excuse, for I simply don’t make time to write. It’s not at the top of my agenda. It’s nothing special, spiritual, or comforting to me. Still, my favorite time of the day is the part when I’m awake.

6. Felice October 1, 2013 at 2:25 am #

Wow, lots of night writers. I also prefer writing at night. I am a night owl by nature and thrive off writing in the comfort of my own bed. It’s that winding down from the day that I enjoy so much. I usually leave the window cracked open a bit so the sound of the crickets and cars in the distance relax me. Plus I wouldn’t be able to write if its too warm inside or it would probably result in me sleeping instead.

7. Grace S. October 1, 2013 at 6:21 am #

Night always proves to be the most productive and creative time for me, often with drawing more than any other medium of art. Writing is slightly different; rather sporadic, with fleeting inspirations popping up like bubbles throughout the day, captured when possible.
    Sleep is a rejuvinating distraction from reality, and the period of half-sleep in between levels of consciousness is the ultimate time for self reflection. Before fully succumbing to sleep, ideas tend to stir freely in my mind, brewing and steadily gaining momentum. The coming of dawn peeking through my eyelids every morning makes me burrow back underneath my safe covers, dreading the abrupt change of bursting the hazy bubble. Night is my playtime, the time for inner exploration after life’s daily chaos winds down and the calm dark softly approaches.

8. Lila C. Sisk-Popow October 1, 2013 at 8:37 am #

The Golden Hour, sunset. Since I am (like many of my colleagues) a night owl, I love the feeling of being at peace with some music and a cup of coffee at sunset. I try to allow myself at least an hour of complete me time and this tends to be the time when my thoughts are most creative. I love finding a place where the sun kisses the last of it’s rays on my cheeks and before the darkness of evening begins it’s shift. It’s close to impossible for me to function creatively when I am required to wake up in the morning. But, the late afternoon and evening are when I wake up and start to think properly.

9. Jannick October 1, 2013 at 8:42 am #

For me personally I find myself to be an admirer of the night. There is something about the stillness and restlessness that is happening at the same time. Often people uncover a different part of themselves once they fall under the veil of darkness that is night. Mischief seems to be that little bit more alluring and harmless simultaneously. You can begin to admire the sky and let the realization that we’re not the only ones in space sink in. It’s a time to ponder, admire, wonder, and immerse oneself into a feeling of “life” that you might not find during the daytime. It’s as if I’m in a different world than the one I am in during the day. I am taken into a magical world, one of mystery, excitement, fear, awe, and enjoyment. Don’t get me wrong, I certainly enjoy the day time, and there is much of life to enjoy during that time, but it’s just not the same in my eyes.

10. jake farney October 1, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

Wow, certainly wasn’t expecting so many night owls. How you all get work done throughout the day after staying up late is beyond me. Like the select other few who posted I consider myself an early morning person. The morning is just such a tranquil and beautiful time of day. As Mercedes stated earlier there’s something about the crisp morning air that gives one a feeling that no other time of day can provide, a sense of being alive. To watch as the cogs of the world slowly begin to turn and bring life to the darkness and emptiness of the night is quite an experience. Before the hustle and bustle of the mid-morning rush, is by far in my opinion the best part of the day only rivaled by that of the sun set at dusk. I wish I had time to write in the mornings, but due to the time restraints of school I would have to awake at a time that even the earliest of risers would find unbearable. Because of this I always end up writing during the mid-day and throughout the afternoon. The later it gets the slower the writing goes, and I find that as the sun slips under the horizon it carries my writing abilities away with it; unattainable until the mind has been reset through a decent nights rest.

11. Abdul Mohaiman October 1, 2013 at 6:34 pm #

Night time for me, it seems like, is where the stars of my creativity, productivity and curiosity align perfectly. It’s the time where I actually get work done. I found my self to be more efficient under pressure therefore it’s common for me to pull “all-nighters” right before major assignments are due and then get some sleep in the evening. I simply cannot pin myself to working inside when the sun is up. The distractions during the day yank my focus from working and I end up shortcoming my goals.