So Now that Glass Castle’s Over…

8 Jul

What are you thinking.  And namely, what did Ms. Walls teach you?  And, what do you think of how she ended the book?  Do we have closure?  Were all your questions answered?  How are you feeling upon completion of her manuscript?

Tomorrow night in class, we’ll be talking about her novel, the coming Longer Reaction to her work, more exploration of the writer’s struggle and Life, among a bit else.  Also, if you read this in time, please bring something Literary to share.. it can be anything.  A poem, a book, a clip on Youtube, music.. something you wrote (poem, short story, journal entry)…  ANYTHING!

Again, so sorry for missing you all this evening, but I felt it best.  Jackie, my Little Kerouac, is doing more than fine, and is much tougher than for which I give him credit.  Being a father has shown me how consuming love can be.  I’m sure I overreacted, but I reacted as someone loving his son.  He’s upstairs asleep, and I’m tempted to wake him, just so I can hear his laugh, hold him and hear his newest sentences.  Obviously I won’t, but that’s how implausibly consumed I am by that little character.

Be well, and I’ll see you tomorrow night–

Mike

9 Responses to “So Now that Glass Castle’s Over…”

1. Clarissa Colter July 8, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

Honestly, when Jeannette’s dad passed away I shed a couple of tears. Even through Jeannette life of a dysfunctional family she always seemed to have a special connection with her dad and he seemed to have a genuine love for her”Believe it or not, ol’ Rex Walls did produce something worth bragging about, and here she is, he told them”(p260). Mrs. Walls was always very child like throughout Jeannette’s life but also always seemed to find the bright side of the worst situations. Mrs. Walls also taught her children the importance education. ” I’ve always believed in the value of a good education,”she said”(p265). This book was really amazing at times it was hard to read but I really enjoyed it.

2. Hanna Sansom July 8, 2014 at 9:09 pm #

I really enjoyed reading this memoir. I believe that anyone who reads this novel can sympathize with Jeannette and find something to relate to. I found myself relating to a few things that she and her siblings went through. I admire Mrs. Walls for taking her life into her own hands and making the best of it even though she was not given a privileged life. After reading this book I have learned an important lesson from Jeannette. I sometimes take for granted what I have, whether it be a materialistic things or my loved ones. Jeannette always tries her hardest to look at the bright side of things and I’ve decided that I need to do more of that as well.
    As for how the novel ended, I don’t feel that I got complete closure. I am curious to see how Jeannette and her family are doing to this day. Seeing as how this is a memoir with an author who still has many years of life left, I’m not sure there will ever be complete closure. We still don’t know her WHOLE life story.

3. Sara Springer July 8, 2014 at 10:37 pm #

I found this memoir to be very bittersweet. I love the positive outlook, ambition, and strength that Jeannette Walls was able to acquire and maintain through many unimaginable hardships. The most valuable lesson I learned from Ms. Walls was quite simply, where there’s a will, there’s a way. It would have been entirely possible, and not all that surprising, for her life to have turned out completely different. I don’t believe, however, that she became a success because of her sacrifices. I believe she became a success despite them. I enjoyed the ending of her novel and found sufficient closure. I felt it to be heartwarming, which was a welcome change to the tone of the book.

4. Joe Hodge July 8, 2014 at 11:34 pm #

For some reason I saw Rex Walls dying off in the book at some point in time. Especially after the reoccurring issue of alcoholism. However, I felt a bit of closure to the book. The family moved on and made something for themselves in their own individual way. I liked how she ended the book just because the book started off with the family together and ends with what’s left of the family together. I really think this book has multiple lessons. One being family no matter what will always be there for you. They’re your “right hand man” when trouble finds you. They take care of you when no one else will. They’re you only true life line. Also, I think we take everything for granted today. We never truly look at how good some of us have it until the day it’s gone. Sometimes things are blessings in disguise and we just need to be more mindful of what is truly important in our lives.

Also, I liked the fact that she show triumph over true adversity. Any obstacle that reared it’s ugly mug in front of the Walls was overcome but not just by themselves but with each other. Final thought. I believe another message is stating that we all really need to look to each other without judgement and help the people who need help. So many people today on the streets could offer so much more to society if they had the opportunity to do so. Some people like Jeannette didn’t always have the opportunities and was fortunate to meet the certain people in their lives that change the direction they were heading.

• Denise C. Lacount July 12, 2014 at 4:35 pm #

Joe, I can see why you get love notes! You show true compassion and insight. You kind of remind me of Brian. Maybe because of all those sisters?

5. Julie Baltazar July 8, 2014 at 11:48 pm #

This was an excellent memoir and found myself experiencing all sorts of emotions running through me while I read this manuscript. I loved how Jeannette raised questions about family, dreams, and how the power of perseverance can help a person face whatever challenges they come across. I felt pretty satisfied with the conclusion of this book, I think Jeannette did a great job in transitioning the story from childhood to adulthood. I also felt a strong connection with the characters and found that I could relate on some level with them and found to my surprise that there are a few qualities about Rex and Mary Walls that I found in my own parents.

• Denise C. Lacount July 12, 2014 at 4:39 pm #

Julie, Don’t be too surprised by seeing your parents in Rex and RoseMary. I truly believe that many of these qualities( good & bad) are in all of us as humans.

6. Ingrid Mazariegos July 9, 2014 at 9:38 pm #

I liked how Jeannette starts off the book, the way she feels towards her homeless parents, how she develops her childhood into teen and adult. I felt as if I was growing up with her, so vivid, and the fire within me to leave and change my life around. As the book was ending I didn’t feel that I got much of Jeannette’s emotions, I wasn’t sure if she was happy or sad. I felt that she was happy where she got to in life but there was still a part of her broken. It was a great motivational memoir, that made me rethink for better the way I once felt about my life and family.

• Denise C. Lacount July 12, 2014 at 4:46 pm #

Gee Ingrid I feel the same. I feel that it must have taken Jeanette a lot to write this memoir. Can you imagine ? Her sisters probably pitched a fit when they found out her plans to write this. I do have respect for RoseMary, telling Jeanette to “Tell the Truth.” This memoir has also given me a new way to look at my own past