Final Paper Ideas…

23 Jul

Post here… We will workshop our ideas below. Please engage each other! I hope what we discussed tonight helped!

Cheers.. And be well in your respective eves.

-mike

9 Responses to “Final Paper Ideas…”

1. Hanna Sansom July 23, 2014 at 4:14 pm #

For my final paper I have been considering writing about Rex Walls from The Glass Castle. I want to focus on how his mother possibly molesting him and the loss of his daughter lead him to abusing alcohol. Alcoholism is a serious illness that can impair someone’s life. I want to show that his disease is the reason why he isn’t the best father and show that he has redeeming qualities that shine through during his moments of sobriety.
    I talked to Mike last night and we thought that what I was trying to conceive was a little confusing and that I should develop it further. Does my concept make sense? What ways do you all think that I can develop my paper further? I appreciate any thoughts you guys have!

• Denise C. Lacount July 23, 2014 at 7:04 pm #

I too find redeeming qualities. I actually liked him. I think the reason the children came out so well is because of Rex. Without him in the picture there would not have been the balance necessary for these kids to make it like they did. Good luck Hanna

2. Denise C. Lacount July 23, 2014 at 7:24 pm #

For my final paper I plan on writing about Memoirs. I plan to explain the different types of memoirs(1st or 2nd person)and why they are written. I also want to include when, why and by who were the first written. I also want to somehow connect the novels we have read in class to tie this all up into a conclusion. A little afraid to ask but…wadda ya think?

• Hanna Sansom July 24, 2014 at 12:00 am #

I like your idea! You could use the list of reasons why authors write their stories that we came up with in class and I think coming up with 5-6 pages is doable.
      You can use a quote to connect one of the novels or maybe even an interview. Like how Jeannette shares her story to help people relate who have the same situation as her and to purge her thoughts. I believe that Clarissa posted a link in an earlier post to an interview with Jeannette and her mom that you might be able to use!
      I hope this somewhat helps….
      You could also talk about why both types of memoirs, 1st and 2nd person, are so effective (because they are true stories etc.)

3. Clarissa Colter July 23, 2014 at 9:52 pm #

Hanna I think that you could narrow you concept in on what makes somebody a alcoholic? Some people think that it is genetic diease, or is it a decison that a person makes due to personal life experiances.

• Hanna Sansom July 23, 2014 at 11:47 pm #

I like that idea 🙂 perhaps I could use one of my outside sources to prove my point about whether it is genetic or not

4. Hanna Sansom July 24, 2014 at 4:23 pm #

So thanks to Clarissa I think I have come up with a better thesis: Alcohol is a drug people turn to due to personal life experiences that deeply effects the way they live.
    What do you think?
    Now I am planning to use both Jeannette Walls’ and Tobias Wolff’s memoirs as examples of how alcohol can consume someone. Rex uses alcohol to escape from his memories of his mother molesting him and his daughters death, and Toby uses alcohol to escape his life with Dwight and slip into a fantasy world where his life is perfect.

5. Evan Spaulding July 24, 2014 at 11:33 pm #

I’ve decided to change my final paper topic to focusing on what “true” maturity means. I’ll be using sources from The Glass Castle and This Boy’s Life to focus on different forms of maturity. As I was planning on attempting to write on the importance of symbolism in novels, but found that there wasn’t enough to work with, I’m slightly behind on my final paper brainstorming. However, I am now doing much better with getting ideas flowing with my new topic.

6. Bryan Settles July 25, 2014 at 5:44 am #

For my proposal I plan to do it on poverty. Using the title Mike pitched to us -* why you should view poverty differently after reading the glass castle* I want to focus on What living in that life is like in todays time especially if you have children. How society makes people view one differently and how that lifestyle may affect ones characterisics. I plan to use the glass castle as one main source and see what else I can dig up online, I just felt more of a connection with Jeannettes memoir and that I would be able to include a lot more into the paper with this subject.