Hemingway has a way of

18 Nov

intriguing and frustrating us with his language.  I suppose the frustration would come from the exhausting sentences and their proximity to the more curt march-like clauses, then we have the intrigue of him, and where this story is going, and what he’s going to show us about this place he’s chasing, Paris, what there is to the Feast.  And, frankly, how does he afford to live like this, just walking around café to café, writing and observing people and living as this libertine penner?

And, Ms. Stein’s influence on Hemingway… your thoughts?  Do you sense any mood change in Hem when he’s around Ms. S?  Some would call their relationship abusive, dysfunctional, reciprocal, and, at times, just plain awkward.  Like when she addresses the issue of ‘inaccroachable’ (25), how Hem says he didn’t agree, but “I did not believe in arguing with my elders.” Is this meant to be a passive insult at Ms. S?  OR, is there something deeper, more elemental and combustive going on?

And, the topic of food, the cuisine, the sensory appeal of Paris that Hem shares with us.  What does that do to the read, to this memoir, if it is in fact such.  We have all this mention of Literature and Art and culture, but somehow you could argue something’s missing.  Some centrality… what?  What’s missing in this feast Papa’s prepared for us?  And, if you feel nothing’s missing, or it’s too early to tell, then fine!  Share your observations with us and share where the strengths are in this next reading (through ch. 13).  I said last meeting that Hemingway is taking us on a tour through HIS Paris, so what does he observe and what do you observe in those observations he shares?

HW:  Read through Chapter 13 (page 100 in the edition I ordered to the bookstore..), and post a 250-300 word reaction, addressing your observations in the text, and if something’s missing or if he’s so far provided a coherently structured manuscript.

Merci!

23 Responses to “Hemingway has a way of”

1. augustbilger November 18, 2015 at 9:06 pm #

I personally really enjoy the this book. Unlike plath i feel like his writing is a bit more simple and less complex to understand. The part on page 26 when he talks about seeing miss stein with her walking her dog made it more relatable for me just with his confusion and blurry memory weather she had her dog or not.

2. augustbilger November 18, 2015 at 9:10 pm #

I really enjoyed the reading. I feel as if compared to plath, Hemingway has a more simple and less complex way or writing that makes it more relateable and understandable. I especially liked the 2 paragraphs on page 26 explaining his meetings with miss stein and his confusion mixed with blurry memory about weahwr she had been walking a dog or not, this made it much more relateable and make his seem more human

3. rachel podstata November 22, 2015 at 9:20 pm #

I appreciate the constant detailed imagery that Hemingway supplies to the reader. Everywhere he goes, he describes the setting which personally helps me understand the reading better when I feel more apart of it. The last 100 pages have showed me that Hemingway has a hard time obtaining relationships with people. He ends his friendship with Stein after accidentally witnessing her beg, and he could not look at her the same afterwards. He doesn’t accept her sexuality so he ends their friendship, which to me is extremely stupid. We are introduced to a bunch of new characters, and its interesting to see how Hemingway reacts with each of them, and to hear what he genuinely thinks of them contrary to how he treats them. What I really enjoyed was the part where Hemingway talks about how Paris begins to get a taste of spring but then it is overwhelmed with winter again. He becomes afraid that spring may never return, which I feel like is a metaphor for something personal but I haven’t figured out exactly what yet. I also don’t really see any plot, although I find his writing and detail beautiful, all I am reading is pretty much his everyday life. He is allowing the reader to interpret their own idea of this plot, which I really appreciate but also hate. Overall, I am really enjoying the read and excited to see what comes next; and hopefully get a better understanding of what I believe the plot to be or what Hemingway is really trying to convey to the readers.

4. Keith November 22, 2015 at 11:32 pm #

Keith Kurt Kurt 1
    Madigan
    English 1A
    November 22, 2015
    What Keeps You Alive?
    As I stroll through Paris exploring the Movable Feast being drawn up in front of me. I cannot help myself from getting hung up on Hemingway’s ideology. I notice a difference in Hemingway’s work, in his attitude and beliefs about writing. Writing was an organ of Hemingway’s essential to his survival, “all of Paris belongs to me and I belong to the notebook and pencil”(18). Hemingway did not want to be a writer, He had to. It was who he was on a much larger scale than being his profession. If we were to slice in to Hemingway to gaze upon his heart, we would find a pen beating 60 to 100 words per minute. Writing was what kept his blood flowing through his veins, what gave his body life. When writing Hemingway is whole, healthy, and happy; the blood is coursing through his veins but when he stops, The blood flow slows and the life beings to drain from his body, “After writing a story I was always empty”(18). When he is not writing he is empty, as depicted in the novel through Hemingway’s mood. When he is writing he is happy and full of life. But when he stops writing he becomes hallow and feels sadness and depression sneaking up on him, Only for Hemingway to wash is down with copious amounts of booze. This all painting a picture of the man behind the book staring intently back at me.

5. Travis Galvez November 23, 2015 at 12:10 am #

Hemingway’s writing style makes it feel like life is happening before my eyes. Just a simple, casual life of him in Paris as a writer. Nothing extraordinary about it, only him making it day by day. No exposition, no plot, nothing. I admire his style greatly because it makes it feel like you don’t need to be extremely driven to write something beautiful. This story is nothing but atmospheric of his time spent in Paris, and while not extremely interesting, is portrayed beautifully on the page. That intricacy must come from his background in journalism, and it serves him well in describing himself and his life.
    The pacing of A Moveable Feast is enjoyable to me. Though it gives off a somewhat urgent tone of need, it doesn’t necessarily rush through things. Each chapter is taken at a casual pace and gives itself time to digest. That being said, the way Hemingway introduces characters is so fluid that each one comes and goes. I have a hard time keeping track of who he’s speaking to, since there are so many characters that are casually mentioned and only have a few lines of dialogue here and there. For instance, the way Hemingway mentions Mike and his seemingly ongoing obsession with horse races just stops and he becomes fixated on bike racing for the rest of the chapter, only to have the subject stop after that. I found that passage outstanding because it’s exactly how life feels. Everything is significant in the moment, but only can be looked back upon later.

6. Marie Young November 23, 2015 at 7:25 am #

Traveling Patterns

Writing is Hemingway’s religion. It’s not just a component to his inner-workings. He down right worships composition. The all-mighty Composition takes on a totalitarian role in Hemingway’s world. When he etches the scene of him sitting in a café on the Place St. -Michel vigorously scribbling in his notepad, I imagine Hemingway vehemently bowing to the white slab of important manuscript, and casts out a prayer with every word vitally picked and delicately placed on the precious entity. And alike all religions, a ritual is produced. “..I learned not to think about anything that I was writing from the time I stopped writing until I started again the next day”. There’s a religious pattern Hemingway devotes himself to.
    If he begins to lose faith in his own writing and doesn’t know how to continue on, he “..write(s) one true sentence. Write the truest sentence you know”. We can easily seek out Hemingway’s intervals of writing predicament by the blurbs of Hemingway’s true sentences. And Mike asks, “What’re you searching for in the book?” I’m searching for Hemingway’s struggles with the very passion he’s most famous for. There are holes in the former Nobel Prize of Literacy’s writing that he patches with his ‘general truths’. His utter-most specialty has faults. And he exposes them by informing us where they’re located; behind his authentic statements. “Writing every day made her happy, but as I got to know her better I found that for her to keep happy it was necessary for this steady daily output..” Truth. We continue to push ourselves to do what makes us happy, but by focusing on the accomplishment of completion, we’re not content until its finished.
    It’s simple to locate his loss for ideas, or his staggering for a completed story line. Every time I read a relatable sentence in a mix of chapters, I know Hemingway was stuck in a ‘writing muck’.
    That’s why I believe some of his statements are long, exaggerated thoughts with ‘ands’ up the ho ha. They are his blurted, truths trying to reach the paper before the story crumbles.

7. Shyla Lopez November 23, 2015 at 8:27 am #

Reading through this pages, makes me miss Paris even more. It also makes me wish that I could’ve traveled to Paris in the 20’s, it seemed so much more livelier. Constantly talking about the nifty cafes, white wine, and painting really describes Paris, and Hemingway did a wonderful job at putting a wonderful image in my mind of how Paris was.
    I also noticed a lot that Hemingway really likes to put himself in many situations when it comes to writing and even races. But overall Hemingway reminds me of a stereotypical intellectual man just trying to find something to talk about. Whether it’s paintings or writing.
    Miss Stein reminds me of just a really strict mom trying to get Hemingway in a better direction of writing, while others may think she’s annoying, I just think that she’s trying to help him in a way.
    I’ve also noticed that Hemingway really likes to talk about sex and girls. It seems to be always brought up throughout each chapter. Whether it’s him describing some beautiful girl he saw one day or talking about making love to the love of your life. Since he’s married and he’s talking about this makes me feel a bit concerned. Maybe their marriage is breaking apart and he’s talking about the things he wish he could do and have. (women and sex). But that’s just a theory in my opinion, but usually when guys constantly talk about pretty girls and or sex they’re not getting enough excitement in their relationship.

8. Karen S November 23, 2015 at 10:15 am #

The word emptiness is starting to catch on to me like a winter flu virus. I tried to think it was meaningless but after several times of running into it I labeled it as important. I can’t help to think it has more meaning behind it than a simple complaint. He stresses the fact he is not a whiner yet his world revolves around his own battles obtaining peace. He seeks depth in every corner of France for writing material, something several writers could relate to, but he seems like he is more experienced than that. His starting point of inspiration in still observations is helping him write, but I can see what he is essentially aiming for is sincerity. The titles he chose for his chapters’ give away Hemingway’s underlying meaning to the dispositions he is experiencing while writing. It feels like he is trying to fill some kind of void without even aiming to fill it at times. When showing pity about his unproductive professional writing he still maintains he adds to his character when expressing his disagreement with Miss Stain’s “lost generation talk”. The constant opposite reaction he has in dialogues compared to his response to the different characters in the book makes me wonder about the type of writer he was when documenting the war. Was he straight to the point in reporting what was going on or would he paint a picture while describing the consistency or inconsistency of moods he would perceive?

9. Erika November 23, 2015 at 2:56 pm #

I am really enjoying the way he is passionate about a lot of things and the way he describes them in detail. That being said he does have a shot attention span when it comes to his obsession. in one chapter he will talk about food then next it was betting on horse races. I did enjoy when he talked about the horse race and called it a very demanding friend and that was a generous way to think of it. But it still does make me think this story is still in a way pointless. He looks for so much in every part of Paris and trying to find anything to write about. I just try to find meaning with in his story. I wouldn’t say just because it doesn’t have meaning i don’t like reading it. it just gives me something to build on not just little bits of a story at a time. i do look forward to what other things he might be inspired by and read the ways he describes things because he makes it very easy to visualize a lot of his surroundings. i really enjoy reading that.

10. Oerjan Hoel November 23, 2015 at 5:11 pm #

As of right now, I am not sure what to make out of Ernest Hemingway’s writing in A Moveable Feast. His writing style is easy to follow, yet it is at the same time a little bit strenuous to read due to his structure of his writing. The way he uses his punctuation and builds his sentences is suggests to me that his writing is carried over from his writing as a journalist: the short and straight to the point simple written sentences. He is, after all, making a living by writing for a newspaper while staying in Paris. I honestly do not know why he wants the reader to know about the things he is writing about. For example; all the food he is eating. He writes a lot about the meals he shares with the people he meets, what he is eating, and how he is eating it. Perhaps this could show how he enjoys life because food is life, we cannot live without food. This way of writing shows one of his strengths, which is the control he possesses to describe his surroundings and what he does in detail, without coming of as being too much. It is here that he captivates me. As strenuous it is from time to time to read, he makes it very easy for me to imagine what his surroundings are, what the streets look like, where he is, and how the people around him are. All of these details create the perfect settings for me to create an image of my own. Hemingway’s thought so far for why I should care is a bit unclear, I do not know where he is planning to go with the writing, I assume all I can do as a reader is to carry on and let him tell his story.

11. Danielle Gardner November 23, 2015 at 5:36 pm #

Danielle Gardner
    I have found A Moveable Feast really enjoyable while reading it. It’s easily relatable because of its simplicity, but also complex at the same time, considering he’s casually strolling down the streets of Paris as a writer, which I assume most people, have never done. Hemingway has this talent of taking the most basic situations and turning it into something that’s actually interesting and meaningful. He could turn just a walk down the street into something totally exquisite just by the way he observes everything. His location may have a heavy impact on why he’s able to this so easily, but it’s also just his natural ability and way of thinking that makes the words appear so beautifully on the page. I found it very funny that during chapter ten he said, “The people that I liked but had not met went to the big cafes because they were lost in them and no one noticed them and they could be alone in them and be together.” In this quote I can clearly picture him at some bench every evening watching each person stroll by, picking out which ones he enjoys and the one’s he doesn’t. It’s really interesting the way he can determine whether he likes a person or not just by observing them without any conversation. During these chapters I picture him as somewhat wealthy considering the luxury of being able to reside in Paris, but also during chapter ten he talks about how close he is to poverty. But even with the risk of poverty, he makes no attempt to leave Paris. I also find the way he describes alcohol in such detail, very significant. Knowing that in real life Hemingway has issues with alcohol, I always pay close attention to all of his mentions of alcohol; its texture and taste, everything about it. Overall, this book is enjoyable although everything is at a Hemingway pace. Each moment is very slow and very in-depth which often times makes me try to race through the chapters. I’m curious to see if this casual tone will stay present through the entire novel, or if something will change.

12. Marco Camargo November 23, 2015 at 6:09 pm #

This past read has showed me a little more about how Hemmingway has inspired other writers and his dedication to what he does. In a few chapters like in that of chapter 10 it talks about how he skips lunch at times because he prefers to write down what he has in thought. He still had a bit of a connection with alcohol. I do not want to label his drinking as his motivation to write but it definitely plays some sort of role in his writing regardless how small or great the connection is to his writing and alcohol. Another way that Hemingway shows me how he is an inspirational writer in this book is in chapter 7. His buddy bashes him by saying the book he is reading is garbage but that regardless he still wants to read in and he still sees hope and that he hasn’t thus far read any bad book. This shows me so much about Hemingway and not only his professionalism and dedication to his reading but also shows a lot about his persona. Even though at first Hemingway’s style of reading really sucks the energy and enthusiasm out of me by so much imagery, I’m curious to keep on reading this book to learn more about him and see what makes him such an amazing person that everyone admires and

13. msbrittneyreed November 23, 2015 at 7:04 pm #

It is no secret that Hemingway is a detailed writer, and uses imagery as a way for readers to ensure trust in him as a credible author. However, Hemingway’s ability to map out Paris is impeccable. As someone, who unfortunately has never seen “The City of Light”, La Ville Lumière, Hemingway does a superb job of illustrating his journey through Paris, in a way that enables the reader to accompany him step-by-step on his journey. An extremely significant quote, towards the beginning of chapter 5, Hemingway penned, “We ate well, and cheaply and drank well and cheaply and slept well and warm together and loved each other.” Though ignoring the famous repetitive “and’s”, Hemingway is known for, this sentence to me expressed femininity within Hemingway. Femininity, in the case that love conquers all. That money doesn’t buy happiness, love is happiness. Typically a feeling harbored by woman. An emotional feeling, commonly rejected by “masculine” men. I also see Hemingway expressing his curiosity for love while at the house races explaining the horses and their strides. “The straight sprints raced in heats or in match races where the two riders would balance for long seconds on their machines for the advantage of making the other rider take the lead and then the slow circling and the final plunge into the driving purity of speed.” (55) This to me is a metaphor of the different stages and processes of love and falling in love, another sign of femininity. While some would say Hemingway’s relationship with Stein is “dysfunctional”, I see their relationship as more of a mother-son, or grandmother-grandson type of relationship. I truly feel that Hemingway values Stein’s literary experience, her opinions, and accepts her advice and criticism.

-Brittney Reed

14. Michaela Hountis November 23, 2015 at 7:26 pm #

Michaela Hountis
    Madigan
    English 1A
    23 November 2015
    New favorite writer?

So far in the reading I really like this book. I was a big fan of Kerouac and his book, but I think that I may like this one better. I like how you can really relate to Hemingway in some way. When he writes he just sounds like a “real person”. He skips lunch to write because that is what he enjoys and he is just easy going. I feel with his easy going way of himself that is what really makes me connect more and more to not just his but his writing style as well. I just want to always read on. The one big difference between Hemingway and me is that I am able to hold up a relationship and I feel in some ways that is hard for Hemingway to do. How he is able to describe things I am able to see it in my head, like I am actually there, is amazing. I feel that I am really in Paris with him. Just having lunch with him and hanging out. He just as this way of writing that lets us really connect with him and his everyday life. The more I read the more I am able to really understand who he really is as a person. Which personally is something I feel that is really important to be able to understand when you read books. Overall, I really do like Hemingway’s writing style and the book so far.

15. Macy Waddington November 23, 2015 at 8:10 pm #

So far in this book, It seems as if Hemingway is really fond of recalling memories from the past. I haven’t quite put together the meaning for writing it although it may just be as simple as the fact that he wants to write about his experiences because it makes him feel complete. His writing is very nice and his imagery is amazing and really puts us in the place that he is in. Hemmingway uses weather as a Big mood setter throughout the novel and it is somewhat of a guide on how we are supposed to feel reading it. Through the chapters Hemingway seems as if he is getting more and more restless; Like he wants something. A hobby, or maybe just ready for a complete change in his life, as it seems like he is getting tired of his everyday life. Maybe writing helps him to conquer that, like he claims in the book, his stories basically write themselves.

16. Christopher Bones November 23, 2015 at 8:27 pm #

I have ambivalent feelings when it pertains to Hemingway and his work. Of the authors we have had the pleasure of reading thus far, I am most resonant with Wolff and Plath in terms of both writing style and content. However, Hemingway’s use of language and structure tends to overload my senses, which detracts me from the point of his work (if any). This may be my short attention span and desire for content rich in one enlightening point after another—in fact, that is a very strong possibility—but that does not change the struggles I have when grappling with the story he tries to convey. I understand this story to be a “slice of Paris” so to speak, so Hemingway must convey the subtle intricacies that sets Paris apart from other wondrous cities across the globe, such as the cuisine and even some of the city’s design. This succeeds in description and detail, but draws the attention away from the story at hand that he may be trying to tell. I say “may be” as he may not even have a story in mind to begin with. A memoir is unique in that it simply recalls to memory the experiences one has come across in their lifetime and, as we know, life’s meaning is diverse and ever-changing—even in the context of a single individual’s subjective view of it. For all we readers know, this could simply be just a compilation of memories of Paris that remained prominent (even in his later years) that he hopes to impart upon others so they may know the true grandeur of Paris and the aura of love and culture that it is famed to have. Or I could be completely wrong. Only time will tell as I myself progress further into this novel, err, memoir.

17. Gabrielle Hildebrand November 23, 2015 at 8:50 pm #

As I read A Moveable Feast, I try to find some grand thesis that explains why Hemingway compsed this memoir. I am reading it with the mentality that he is going to teach me something. So far that grand thesis, if there even is one, has not stood out to me. All I am reading is the thoughts and experiences of a young man living in Paris during the 20’s. Hemingway’s simple style of writing appeals to me. He does not leave me with questions regarding how he feels. He clearly tells us what he likes and dislikes. He is rather blunt when it comes to sharing his opinions about other people with us, his readers. For example, when he meets Wyndham Lewis, he tells us that Lewis is the nastiest man he has ever seen and he has eyes like those of an unsuccessful rapist. I like how he uses universal situations to describe what he is thinking or going through. When he is telling us about the paintings by Ezra’s friends that he dislikes but Ezra himself likes, he uses a very relatable situation to portray how he sees the situation. He uses the topic of family, and we all have family so we can understand how Hemingway is viewing this. I do not believe anything is missing from the book so far, for as far as I can tell it is a mass of journal entries formed into a memoir.

18. augustbilger November 24, 2015 at 12:08 am #

@mike I could not retreive my first response which you have the hard copy to so if its ok ill just try and rewrite it as best i can

I truely do love hemingways writing style his dialogue is short and sweet although he may not get the point across theough dialogue he sure does when he writes purely from his thoughts and experiences. I find he is in everyway my favorite next to kerouac out of the story tellers we have selected for the semester. I love how relatable his experiences are like how theres a small part in the story when him and his wife are going to eat and stop in front of a restaurant reading the menu out the door, considering i have been to Europe many times i could imagine myself there with them doing the same thing because me and my family members consistently would stroll down streets scatered with resteraunts reading menus trying to figure out what our next meal would be picking and choosing from menus and scanning over meals and beverages. His meetings with Miss stein are very real to me just how he is always very concious the the fact of wanting acceptance from his new aquaintences. To be honest there may be a few minor details missing from the story but in reality to me i feel as if it is a complete portrayal of his life at that time and seems very realistic to me, and with simple but somewhat desceiptive way of writing I do not feel the need to keep searching for deeper meanings because i see it before my eyes plainly written on each page.

19. Cooper Koebsell November 24, 2015 at 1:00 am #

After reading this selection of Hemingway one of my most pervasive thoughts is how much of a disdain that he has for individuals who he perceives to be “fake”. If a character is presenting himself to Hemingway in any way that Hemingway perceives to be a misrepresentation of the person, then Hemingway mocks them and thinks lesser of them. The best example of this that I saw was when he had the dinner with Earnest Walsh. He sees Walsh as a person who puts on this “marked for death” look about him in order to appear more interesting, but in Walsh’s feigning he saw that Walsh was appearing to actually be dying, something that I found very interesting. It seems that Walsh has created his fate, that by perpetually acting like he was dying he truly starts to die. Perhaps this is what Hemingway is attempting to impose upon us in writing this novel: that each one of us is responsible for his or her own destiny. Life is only what we each make of it, and by always being the dire man marked for death Walsh has made his own bed. Now he must lie in it. The whole conversation that they engage in is extremely interesting, as we the reader also get to see a slight bit into Hemingway mind and see what he thinks of himself. The impression that I get from Hemingway is that he thinks that he does not have a high estimation of himself, as evidenced by him not wanting to hear anything about his writings. He does not want to hear any praise from Walsh, in fact it makes him sick. I think this is because he views Walsh as a liar, a conman. He does not want to hear the opinions or flattery of a liar as there is nothing for him to learn lest for empty praise. I feel that Hemingway is so hard on himself to be the best person that he could be, and he imposes those expectations onto those around him. Then when they fail to meet his standards he can feel nothing but disappointment. As a side note into Hemingway’s life, these high standards might also be able to explain why it was so hard for him to keep friends and relationships. I am looking forward to seeing Hemingway’s interactions with his friends in the remainder of the book, and to see if any end in a little bit more positively than what we’ve seen so far.

20. Bogar Celis November 26, 2015 at 12:52 am #

Reading a Moveable Feast make me feel calm and relaxed, as if Paris itself and all its beauty was on the page. However, the lack of direction causes me to space out a lot. So far, there is not much that grips me to the page, aside from his exquisite description of his surroundings. Hemingway’s relationship with Stein does grab my attention though. I get an almost frustrated vibe from Hemingway when Stein is calling his generation lost. [“I will do my best to serve her and see she gets justice for the good work she had done as long as I can, so help me God and Mike Ney. But the hell with her lost-generation talk and all the dirty, easy labels.”] Page 62. Something that I observed is how respectful Hemingway is to people. He doesn’t talk back to Stein, no matter how much she gets on his nerves with her hypocritical judgment, and he wasn’t rude to Ford either. Even when his presence was bothering Hemingway. One would expect a macho man like Hemingway to explode on them, but he doesn’t. He is very respectful. I feel like he humors people who aggravate him. Like he is not always interested in what they have to say but he asks them questions just to be respectful and keep a conversation going. I don’t particularly like Hemingway’s style of writing, and his lack of direction leaves me confused on why exactly am I reading this book. His description of Paris food and scenery is very tantalizing though.

21. Andy Le November 29, 2015 at 10:52 pm #

When I read a novel, I want to learn what he’s trying to tell us and the purpose of having to write this book. But Hemingway’s sense of imagery and observation makes you ignore all that. He washes away people’s minds by describing every single detail he observes. All though it’s short and simple, you can already imagine what it looks like because he’s just so good at it. He doesn’t skip anything and when he’s just going down a road and he makes it as if you’re strolling along besides him. The vocabulary may be simple, but that’s what makes it more amazing. Hemingway still does a good job of portraying Paris in our minds and you can just see how passionate and his obsession of his surroundings. He talks from describing the people around him to even the horses that race on the track to even the food on his plate. Although he talks about his problems when quitting journalism, you can see that the one drug that seems to fix Hemingway was through his writing. He’s able to continue on and be able ignore his past thoughts. Writing became something true to Hemingway. I still want to be able to find his true purpose behind all this writing and find the plot of this story, but what we have read so far is satisfying enough but there could be more to it. All I can really interpret out of all this is like the in class discussion we had, it’s a “photo gallery.”

22. travis November 30, 2015 at 3:30 am #

After reading through the novel it is obvious why Hemingway is such a celebrated writer throughout history. i now totally understand what you meant in class in previous months when you told us to write a picture with words. That component of Hemingway’s style is very attractive and can makes it easy to imagine the scene in your own mind. it was interesting to find myself walking around Paris in my mind seeing and smelling all of the experiences that he described.
    I admire Hemingway for following his dreams to the fullest extent. he is so determined to be a successful writer regardless oh his financial situation. Most people panic when they realize that they could go broke at any moment. Hemingway was intensely faithful to writing and literature. it is really inspiring to witness the journey of a man who practically dedicates his entire life to his writings. I think it is much harder to find people in these times because of all of our modern distractions and desires. These were very different times and i actually envy the lifestyle that people of this time lived. i really wonder what it must have been like to live in a world that had about a quarter of the amount of humans that roam it today. I would be curious to see what Gertrude Stein’s opinion would be of people in days today. If she thought that Hemingway’s generation was bad i can only imagine what she would criticize about ours. Maybe people today don’t drink as much as in those days but we are so separated from the world around us that most people don’t even know about current events in their own country.